Nestled among the historic landscape of Southwestern New England, the Bartlett Arboretum & Gardens is a natural preserve like no other in this region. The property features 93 acres of irreplaceable open space, highlighting the best of what Connecticut's native landscape has to offer. A wonderful getaway from the hustle and bustle of daily life, the Bartlett Arboretum serves as a leading recreational and educational resource for visitors of all ages.
The Bartlett Arboretum has a staff of ten (which fluctuates with seasonal employees and interns), a 20-member Board of Directors and a 10-member Advisory Board. With an operating budget of $1.1 million, revenues come from the City of Stamford, educational program fees, events, contributions, and facility rentals.
The Bartlett Arboretum Board of Directors seeks a passionate and mission-driven leader with a growth mindset who excels in community engagement and can articulate, advocate, and inspire others to support the Arboretum’s success. Working together with the Board of Directors, the CEO will recommend and execute future-focused strategy and growth. The Bartlett is in a stable financial position with a talented staff and strong governance structure. Building on its historic legacy, the Bartlett looks ahead to a future marked by growth, innovation, and greater enhancement of its reputation in the regional and national public garden space.
Key competencies include:
• Strong business acumen with experience overseeing the financial programs of an organization including operating and capital budgets and annual audit. Continual focus on maintaining financial sustainability. Demonstrated ability to manage and grow/transform an institution/business by executing on a strategic plan.
• Active commitment to fairness, justice, and equality in every aspect of decision-making.
• High degree of interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence; established strong credibility; must be personable, empathetic, and diplomatic in working with a diverse constituency and creating an inclusive environment for the public and staff.
• General knowledge of building and grounds maintenance and repairs; experience working with vendors and contractors.
Key responsibilities include:
• Lead the institution with a growth mindset, using creative, progressive, and proactive approaches to leverage the Arboretum’s unique attributes and increase visibility, reputation, diversity, and impact.
• Lead all aspects of the master planning initiative, including project management and capital campaign strategy.
• Serve as talent developer and leader of the Arboretum staff, including hiring, reviewing, and evaluating job performance. Work in collaboration with HR Committee.
• Develop, promote, and defend budget for City operational and capital funding to Mayor, Administration, and elected Boards and Commissions.
• Provide for the engagement, motivation, development, and evaluation of contributors, including volunteers.
• Lead and maximize the institution’s programming, engaging all generations and cultures in our shared mission of exploring, explaining, and celebrating the natural world.
• Establish and deliver on development and fundraising plans; play an active and productive role in raising funds, donor engagement, events, membership, community funding, and identifying/leveraging other sources.
• Develop a strategy for effective public relations, including both traditional and social media, and ensure rapport with members of the community to increase awareness and appreciation of the value of this city-owned unique property.
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution is required. Experience with public gardens and an affinity and passion for the mission of public gardens must be demonstrated. Experience in nonprofit management and governance is preferred. A background in horticulture, botany, or arboriculture is a plus. To learn more about the programs and activities at the Arboretum please see www.bartlettarboretum.org.
The Bartlett Arboretum is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity and welcomes a pool of diverse candidates.